Thursday, August 18, 2011

The first day of blog life

      
       You may say... isn't 27 years old to old to still be in school...?? And yes you would be right, it is too old. Take it from me. Well... I guess I should start off with some background, I think that's what I am supposed to do now. Well, as the title implies I am a 27 year old girl/woman. I am currently in college and am also working pretty much full time between 2.5 jobs. Retail job that I despise with a vengeance, but am unable to leave. A job at school, which I love, but since it is at school cannot work full-time there because they don't want students working more than 20 hrs per week. Frankly I think that should be my choice and not forced on me. If I could work at school full time I would, but unfortunately i cannot. I also do other random jobs at school like writing tutor and note taker.
            My plight started just about a year and a half ago when I was working my high stress job in the big city. I realized that I was very good at what I did but felt trapped there like a gerbil in a cage. I was well liked and paid fairly well, (about twice what I make now per paycheck). I felt like I needed more. Before that job I had received my associates degree from a community college and then took about a 5 year hiatus until this past fall, when I went back to school to finish  my degree. I should have just finished when I was younger, because it is a lot harder now to be in school. I have been living on my own since 17, but when I was in college before I was living with my boyfriends family so I did not have to pay rent, which was great since I was in school. Now, of course we rent a townhouse with some other roommates and have rent/bills to pay. We also have 4 crazy animals to care for and one crazy cat we are babysitting for a while.
          Well, back to my days in a cage, I was just not feeling as if I was doing enough with my life. I felt like I was just marinating in the same stew day in and day out. It was just boring. I could have stayed at my job and also went to school, but they REFUSED to let me have one day off per week to go to school to better myself... when they said that then  I said... " Well, I have to go to school so you give me no other option then to quit" so I did. This was during the first part of this bad economy so I was not sure if that was the best decision to quit my good-paying job to try to find some crappy part time gig. I still don't know if I made the right decision... I don't know, I think I did.
          So, that puts me at today, struggling to survive in one of the "wealthiest" counties in the U.S. where housing is super expensive and living is not cheap. I say "wealthiest", because it is only the 5% of this county that live in a few certain cities that make that happen. Most everyone I know, struggles to survive.
         I am getting ready to start my second year back at school and have had roommate drama too that I had to deal with earlier this year. So I have been working six days a week in order to make ends meet. This means I don't get out much...at all. I don't get out at all. How can I when I am broke? I do live vicariously through the Travel Channel, wishing to get away. I want to have Anthony Bourdain's life...well that another blog for another day, but I do, want his life that is.
           The last time I was on vacation was about 8 years ago, nothin since then. I wish I could travel the world like Bourdain or like my dad did in his youth. I have a fascination with cooking and with different food. When I do go out I go to different restaurants that seem interesting. I try different foods and then try to recreate them at home. Sometimes good sometimes not so good. I wish I could be a chef or something else, but it all seems to hard to get into, that’s why my major is Social Work and not Culinary Arts. You need to be really good at what you do in order to be a chef on the scale of Jose Andres and Anthony Bourdain. It takes gusto... of which I don't have. I think this is all I have in me for today, but please let me know what you think, this is my first blog ever so I am new at this thing. Please give me your input. Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment